John advises management on all aspects of employment and labour law, including representation before administrative tribunals, collective agreement negotiation, arbitrations, wrongful dismissal defence and human rights. He also assists clients in providing strategic legal and human resources advice on labour and employment matters arising out of complex mergers, acquisitions and the sale of businesses. John’s pre-law background is in operations and human resources management in the transportation industry. This experience provides him with the unique opportunity to assist clients in the formulation of practical legal solutions, specifically tailored to their needs.
John is one of only 17 lawyers in Canada certified as a Specialist in Labour Law by the Law Society of Ontario.
John represents private, public and institutional clients in a wide variety of labour and employment matters across Canada. His clients include international transportation interests, construction companies, manufacturers, health care providers, universities and major breweries. He has developed widely recognized legal sub-practices in the specialized areas of Transportation and Construction Labour Relations. He is the author of a number of articles in various labour and employment publications and has presented numerous seminars on labour and employment law matters.
John was called to the bar in 1993, after earning both Canadian (LL.B.) and American (J.D.) Law Degrees. Prior to attending Law School, John obtained an Honours B.A. and an M.A. from the University of Guelph.
Practice Areas Include:
- Management Side Labour and Employment Law
- Collective Agreements
- Wrongful Dismissal
- Human Rights
- Human Resources Management
- Workplace investigations
Memberships & Associations:
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association (Ontario)
- Member, Transportation Lawyers Association of America
- Member, Canadian Transport Lawyers’ Association
- Member, and past Director of the North American Transportation Employee Relations Association
- Member, and past Director of the Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario
- Member, The Royal Canadian Military Institute and the Royal Canadian Yacht Club